Leander Hit-and-Run: Driver Charged After Fatal Motorcycle Crash
On November 18th, 2023, a fatal hit-and-run accident involving a motorcycle and a vehicle occurred in Leander, Texas, approximately 30 miles northwest of Austin.
KXAN Austin reports that the tragic motorcycle accident occurred on US 183 north of Huddleston Road in Leander, Texas, at approximately 2:16 p.m. Witnesses stated that a Kia car hit the motorcycle, and the driver fled the scene.
Leander police identified the vehicle involved and apprehended the driver, Robert Corral, 29, in Liberty Hill. Corral faces charges of leaving the scene of a fatal collision and is currently detained at the Williamson County Jail.
Sadly, the motorcyclist died at the scene.
The investigation into this crash is ongoing. This tragic event comes just two hours after another fatal collision involving a pedestrian and a train near US 183.
Austin Traffic Accidents: Tips to Avoid Pedestrian, Motorcyclist, and Vehicle Accidents
As one of the fastest-growing cities in America, Austin has seen a surge in traffic accidents including injuries and fatalities. According to Austintexas.gov, 2022 marked the highest number of traffic fatalities ever recorded in Austin, Texas, with 116 fatal crashes resulting in 122 fatalities. To combat this alarming trend, it is crucial for both drivers and pedestrians to adopt safe practices and avoid behaviors that contribute to accidents, such as drunk driving, distracted driving, and texting while driving.
Enhance your safety on the road by following these effective tips to prevent traffic accidents:
- Avoid Distracted Driving: Distracted driving is a major cause of accidents. Avoid using your phone, eating, or engaging in other activities that take your attention away from the road.
- Be Extra Cautious at Intersections: Intersections are a common location for motorcycle accidents. Approach intersections with caution and always be prepared to stop.
- Be Aware of Your Surroundings: Avoid distractions such as your phone while walking or crossing the street. Pay attention to traffic and avoid putting yourself in dangerous situations.
- Wear a Helmet: A helmet is the single most effective way to reduce the risk of serious injury or death in a motorcycle accident.
- Maintain a Safe Following Distance: Keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you to allow for ample time to react if they brake suddenly.
- Cross the Street at Designated Crosswalks: Always cross the street at designated crosswalks and follow traffic signals.
- Never Drive Under the Influence of Alcohol or Drugs: Alcohol and drugs impair your judgment and coordination, making it dangerous to drive. If you plan to drink, arrange for a designated driver or use a ride-hailing service.
- Dress for Visibility: Wear bright, reflective clothing to make yourself more visible to other drivers, especially at night.
- Maintain a Safe Following Distance: Keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you to allow for ample time to react if they break suddenly.
- Maintain Your Motorcycle and Check Tire Pressure Regularly: Ensure your motorcycle is in good working condition and that your tires are properly inflated.
Contact an Experienced Austin Auto Accident Attorney
Have you or a loved one been injured in a car crash? Our experienced Austin car accident lawyers are available 24/7 to take your call and provide you with a free consultation. Thomas J. Henry has a track record of achieving real results for clients suffering from serious and debilitating car accident injuries and was selected as one of the 2021’s Best Car Accident Lawyers in Austin by Expertise.
Let our attorneys navigate the legal process and deal with the insurance companies so you can focus on getting better. Call today to speak with an attorney or fill out the contact form on this page and we will contact you.
Our Austin, Texas Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone Number: (512) 520-0221 (attorneys available 24/7, nights and weekends)
- Address: 4401 West Gate Blvd Suite 200, Austin, TX 78745 (walk-in Monday through Friday)