A Pennsylvania man has pleaded guilty and admitted to killing five people in a wrong-way crash that occurred in 2016.
About the Drunk Driving Case
U.S. News reported that a man has pleaded guilty to driving while under the influence of alcohol when he killed 5 people in a crash in 2016.
The man who plead guilty of five counts of homicide by vehicle in this case is 29-year-old Gennadiy Manannikov, a resident of Lake Ariel, Pennsylvania.
Manannikov killed the passenger in his car and 4 people in another car when he drove the wrong way on Interstate 81 for around 7 miles, and while he was driving he had a head-on collision with another vehicle on the road.
By pleading guilty, Manannikov could face up to 60 years in prison for the crime he committed.
National Traffic Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHSA):
- 35,092 people were killed in traffic accidents in Texas in 2015, marking a 7.2-percent increase from the 32,744 deaths reported in 2014.
- This 7.2-percent increase is the largest percentage increase recorded in nearly 50 years.
- Of those killed in traffic accidents in 2015:
- 22,441 were occupants of passenger vehicles
- 5,376 were pedestrians
- 4,976 were motorcyclists (operators and passengers)
- 818 were pedalcyclists
- 667 were occupants of large trucks
- 227 were listed as other or as unknown
- An additional 2,443,000 people were injured in auto accidents in 2015.