New Year’s Day Tragedy: Pedestrian Fatality on North Austin I-35
January 1st, 2024 – A pedestrian was fatally struck by a vehicle on the southbound I-35 service road in North Austin early Monday morning.
According to Fox 7 Austin, a tragic accident took place early New Years Day, close to 1:00 AM, near the intersection of East Huntland Drive. Austin-Travis County EMS responded to the scene, where the adult pedestrian involved sadly passed away.
The accident caused some temporary traffic delays on the affected roadway, but the lanes have since reopened. While details surrounding the incident remain limited at this time, there have been no further updates or information regarding the crash.
Staying Safe on the Roads in 2024
As we enter 2024, prioritizing road safety is more crucial than ever. Distracted driving, like phone use, has surged, contributing to a worrying rise in accidents. Don’t let the new year be another one marked by preventable tragedies. Make a conscious effort to stay focused, obey traffic laws, and prioritize the well-being of yourself and others.
1. Buckle Up and Put Distractions Away:
- Always, always wear your seatbelt. It’s the simplest and most effective way to save your life in a crash.
- Put your phone away. Texting, talking, or fiddling with your phone while driving is incredibly dangerous. Use a hands-free system or let a passenger handle your phone if you need to make a call.
- Avoid eating, drinking, or applying makeup while driving. These activities take your focus away from the road and increase your risk of an accident.
2. Drive Defensively and Obey Traffic Laws:
- Maintain a safe following distance. Allow enough space between you and the car in front of you to react to sudden stops or emergencies.
- Obey the speed limit and traffic signals. Speeding is a major contributor to accidents, and ignoring traffic signals can put yourself and others at risk.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Watch out for pedestrians, cyclists, and other vehicles, especially at intersections and in blind spots.
3. Be Prepared for Unforeseen Circumstances:
- Get your car regularly serviced and maintained. This ensures your vehicle is in optimal condition and less likely to break down on the road.
- Check the weather forecast before you drive. If there are bad weather conditions, consider delaying your trip or taking public transportation.
- Keep an emergency kit in your car. This should include items like a first-aid kit, jumper cables, flares, a blanket, and non-perishable food and water.
4. Prioritize Rest and Avoid Drowsy Driving:
- Get enough sleep before driving. Drowsiness is just as dangerous as driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Take breaks on long trips. Stop every few hours to stretch your legs, get some fresh air, and avoid fatigue.
- Pull over and take a nap if you feel tired. Don’t push yourself to drive if you’re not alert.
5. Stay Updated on Road Rules and Changes:
- Familiarize yourself with the traffic laws in the areas you drive. These can vary from state to state or even city to city.
- Be aware of construction zones and detours. Plan your route accordingly to avoid delays.
6. Make Road Safety a Habit:
- Integrate these safety tips into your daily driving routine. The more you practice them, the more natural they will become.
- Set a good example for other drivers. By following the rules and driving safely, you can help make the roads safer for everyone.
Contact an Experienced Austin Auto Accident Attorney
Have you or a loved one been injured in a car crash? Our experienced Austin car accident lawyers are available 24/7 to take your call and provide you with a free consultation. Thomas J. Henry has a track record of achieving real results for clients suffering from serious and debilitating car accident injuries and was selected as one of the 2021’s Best Car Accident Lawyers in Austin by Expertise.
Let our attorneys navigate the legal process and deal with the insurance companies so you can focus on getting better. Call today to speak with an attorney or fill out the contact form on this page and we will contact you.
Our Austin, Texas Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone Number: (512) 520-0221 (attorneys available 24/7, nights and weekends)
- Address: 4401 West Gate Blvd Suite 200, Austin, TX 78745 (walk-in Monday through Friday)