Police say Robert Zulauf, 32, and his 23-year-old nephew, Jordan, worked on fiber optic cables near a Circle K on Locust Street at around 12:10 p.m. local time when the electrocution mishap occurred.
Although investigators are unsure how they came in contact with the power lines, officials responded to a call of a vehicle fire and two men injured, one of which is on fire.
When emergency crews arrived, they discovered the Zulauf’s on the ground near their bucket truck. Robert Zulauf died at the scene from injuries sustained, according to KWQC. Jordan Zulauf received an airlift to Rockford Hospital and is in critical condition. The coroner determined they received electrocution when contact was made with the power lines.
The Zulaufs worked on the fiber optic cables for Zucru Communications, owned by Robert Zulauf, reports KWQC.
The following information is provided by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).