San Antonio police responded to the scene of a major crash on Interstate 10 involving an 18-wheeler Wednesday evening. One person has died from their injuries.
Tire Blowout Results in Fatal San Antonio Semi Crash
KSAT reports the crash occurred in the 11900 block of I-10 near De Zavala Road around 5 pm Wednesday.
A preliminary investigation suggests the 18-wheeler was traveling northbound on the interstate when it had a tire blowout. The truck lost control, swerved to the left, and collided with a Toyota Corolla and a Jeep Latitude.
The impact of the initial collision forced the Corolla into the concrete barrier at the median. The car ended up on top of the barrier and continued to travel along the barrier until it hit a metal pillar.
The car then caught on fire.
The driver of the Corolla was rushed to the hospital where he later died. The driver of the Jeep was also hospitalized, though his injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.
The crash remains under investigation.
2019 Truck Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- An estimated 538,000 large trucks were involved in police-reported crashes in 2019.
- 5,005 people were killed in truck accidents in 2019, with large trucks accounting for 10 percent of all vehicles involved in fatal collisions for the year.
- 9% of large truck drivers involved in fatal crashes had previously been involved in reported crashes – more than any other vehicle type.
- An additional 159,000 people were injured in truck crashes in 2019.
- Among the states with the most truck accident deaths were:
- Texas: 652 deaths
- California: 408 deaths
- Florida: 349
- Georgia: 204
- Ohio: 172
Speak to an Experienced San Antonio 18-Wheeler Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in an 18-wheeler accident in San Antonio, you need a lawyer who can help protect your rights. Thomas J. Henry Law has represented injured clients for more than 25 years. Over that time, we have secured record-breaking results and successfully litigated against some of the largest corporations in the year.
Now it is time to let our success work for you. Call Thomas J. Henry Law for a FREE Case Review.