One Killed in Woodlands Motorcycle Accident
The Texas Department of Public Safety is investigating a fatal accident in The Woodlands that left a motorcyclist dead Sunday morning.
Details of the Woodlands Motorcycle Crash
According to the Houston Chronicle, 46-year-old Christopher Sacco was traveling north along West Branch when his motorcycle was struck by a 2014 Audi driven by Carlos Avila, 19, at the Woodlands Parkway intersection.
Sacco was flipped off his motorcycle and thrown into a ditch – he was pronounced dead at the scene.
Authorities have not determined which driver is responsible for the collision, and has not stated whether Sacco was wearing a helmet at the time of the collision.
An autopsy has been ordered.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,399 people were killed in traffic collisions in 2012, marking a 10.82 percent increase from 2011 when 3,067 deaths were recorded.
- Of those recorded, 838 deaths (25 percent) occurred at intersections or in collisions related to an intersection.
- 467 motorcyclists (operators and passengers) were killed in traffic collisions in 2012. 52 percent of those killed were not wearing helmets at the time of the crash.
- Using available data, the TxDOT was able to determine:
- One person was killed every 2 hours and 35 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 17 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 75 seconds.
- There were no deathless days on Texas roadways in 2012.