A 37-year-old woman is dead and two other people are injured following a two-car crash near the Harbor Bridge in Corpus Christi Thursday morning.
Details of the Fatal Harbor Bridge Crash
The Corpus Christi Caller-Times reports the crash occurred around 2:40 am on the US 181 causeway near the Harbor Bridge Thursday.
Upon arriving, officers determined the 37-year-old woman was traveling north in the southbound lane when she struck an oncoming vehicle. The woman died at the scene and two occupants from the second vehicle were taken to the hospital and are in critical condition.
The identities of those involved have not been released.
This is the 15th traffic fatality recorded in Corpus Christi this year.
What to Do If a Car Is Traveling the Wrong Direction
Seeing an oncoming vehicle barreling down your lane of traffic can be horrifying; however, it is important to remain as calm as possible and take appropriate evasive action.
- Removed your foot from the accelerator and begin applying the brakes. Do this quickly, but in a controlled manner. Do not slam on the brakes.
- Flash your headlights and blare your horn to catch the oncoming driver’s attention.
- Steer to the right of the oncoming vehicle. You may be tempted to move left into oncoming lanes, but if the oncoming driver corrects course, you will collide head-on.
- Try to steer into a clear area. Look for a clear shoulder or level terrain.
- If necessary, driver off the road. It is better to crash into a ditch than collide with another vehicle head-on.
- Call the police and report the driver. Even if you are able to make it through unscathed, your call to the police could save lives further down the road.
Contact an Experienced Corpus Christi Auto Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced Corpus Christi car accident lawyers have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.