Pedestrian Killed in San Antonio Hit-and-Run
Police have identified the pedestrian who was killed by a hit-and-run driver in San Antonio Wednesday morning as Raul Saucedo, 68.
San Antonio Pedestrian Hit While Picking Up Trash
According to the San Antonio Express News, Saucedo was picking up trash at the intersection of South Laredo Street and South San Marcos Street around 6 a.m. when he was struck by a red van. He died at the scene from head trauma.
The driver of the van did not stop and continued home; however, a tip later led police to the driver who was picked up for questioning.
Workers in the area said Saucedo worked at a food processing warehouse owned by Surlean Foods.
Texas Car Crash Statistics
Following information provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,377 people including 485 pedestrians were killed in auto accidents along Texas roadways in 2013.
- Another 232,041 people were injured with 89,270 people sustain a serious injury.
- 767 deaths occurred along intersections and 44.34 percent of traffic fatalities occurred urban areas.
- TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic collision every 2 hours and 36 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 16 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 71 seconds.