Inattentive and reckless driving in school zones can have catastrophic results. Last year, 663 accidents were recorded in Texas school zones alone. Among the leading causes of these crashes were driver inattention, failure to control speed, and failure to yield the right of way at a stop sign.
Following these simple tips can help Texas children reach school safely and help drivers avoid costly fines and tickets.
School Zone Safety Tips for Motorists
- Observe and obey posted speed limits.
- Do not pass other vehicles in school zones or at crosswalks.
- Do not change lanes in school zones if possible.
- Do not make U-turns in school zones.
- Do not text or use a cell phone when driving in a school zone.
- Stop for buses that are loading or unloading children.
- Watch for and obey any signals given by crossing guards.
- Be alert and watch for children near schools, bus stops, and in school parking lots.
School Zone Safety Tips for Students and Parents
- Parents of younger children who ride a school bus should consider escorting their children to and from their designated bus stop.
- Children should not stand or play in the roadway while waiting for or leaving a school bus.
- Students who ride a school bus should obey all safety rules and avoid distracting the driver.
- Students who walk to school should walk in a pair or groups.
- Students should only cross streets at designated and marked crosswalks.
- Students should follow directions given by school crossing guards.
- If riding a bicycle, students should get off their bike and walk when crossing the street.
Contact an Experienced Pedestrian Accident Attorney
Thomas J. Henry Injury Attorneys have been committed to getting their clients the compensation they deserve and making sure the driver pays for the pain he or she caused. We understand that being injured causes lifetime pain and suffering. We put constant pressure on the insurance company and driver involved to ensure you receive maximum monetary compensation.
No one should have to suffer because of someone else’s mistake or negligence. Whether your injury was caused by a drunk driver, reckless or negligent driving, or even intentional misconduct, our aggressive and persistent pressure on the driver will give us the information we need to win your case.
At Thomas J. Henry Injury Attorneys, we dedicate our time and knowledge to your needs. With over 20 years of experience, we have shown each of our clients that we are committed to getting results. Our attorneys are available 24/7 nights and weekends in order to be there when you need us. Choose an attorney who is aggressive, dedicated, and experienced. Contact Thomas J. Henry Injury Attorneys today. We represent clients/victims all over the country.