Two Dead, Two Injured in Crash involving 18-wheeler and Flatbed Trucks
According to the Beaumont Enterprise, two people were killed and at least two others injured in a crash including an 18-wheeler, flatbed, and pickup truck in Vidor, Texas, on Tuesday afternoon.
Details of Trucking Accident
An Isuzu flatbed truck was traveling westbound on the inside lanes of Interstate 10 when the accident occurred. Shortly after noon, the flatbed truck was hit by an 18-wheeler from behind, causing the Kenworth semi to crash over the center concrete divider.
The Beaumont Enterprise reports that the Kenworth semi crashed head-on with a pickup truck traveling in the eastbound lanes. The driver and a passenger inside the pickup truck died at the scene of the crash. The driver of the Kenworth was hospitalized with serious injuries, and the flatbed driver was treated at the scene.
Officials say it is still an active crash scene, reports the Beaumont Enterprise. The collision occurred around miler marker 858 near the bridge into Beaumont.
Trucking Accident Statistics
The following information is provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 35,092 people died in motor vehicle wrecks on U.S. roadways in 2015.
- This is an increase of 7.2 percent from 2014 – the largest increase in nearly 50 years.
- An estimated 2.44 million people suffered injuries in motor vehicle accidents in 2015.
- 105,000 more people sustained injuries in crashes in 2015 compared to 2014.
- Fatal multiple-vehicle crashes increased by 11.2 percent from 2014.