Last Wednesday, in Palmyra Township, Pennsylvania, a woman and her child were rushed to the hospital after a jet ski explosion. According to officials from the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission, 43-year-old Rebecca Ruddy and her 7-year-old son both serious injured the explosion which occurred around 8:00am.
They were flown to a hospital near Allentown to be treated for their injuries. Rebecca has injuries to the spine and her son sustained head injuries. Officials tell us it appears that the seat of the jet ski may have been the cause of the problem.
Sometimes gas fumes fill up in the seat creating a potential for an explosion can happen. “When you gas up or you’ve been sitting outside in the sun, take the seat off and expose that motor area,” advised Waterways Conservation Officer Robert Plumb.
Eric Sonteby who owns the Lighthouse Harbor Marina near Hawley, told the extreme heat could also play a role. “Always a good idea to check on the inside of the compartment,” said Sonteby. “With the heat we have been having recently, that, of course, expands the fuel in the fuel tank and if it’s not ventilated properly then there could be an issue.”
Witnesses say that everything was on fire, but the officials acted quickly to clear everything up. The witnesses also accounted that they had never seen anything like it before.