A woman is facing felony charges following a fatal crash involving a pedestrian in Austin, Texas. The woman fled the scene with the victim on the hood of her car.
Details of the Fatal Austin Hit-and-Run
According to KXAN, the fatal crash occurred on August 9 around 11:55 pm.
Police say 25-year-old Edith Tavera-Camacho was driving in the 12500 block of the North I-35 service road when she hit Jiaxing Chen, 35. Tavera-Camacho continued to drive with Chen on the hood of her car and fled the scene.
Reports indicate Chen attempted to call 911 after being hit.
Tavera-Camacho continued to drive north on the service road until she crashed at the intersection of Parmer Lane.
Chen was rushed to the hospital with life-threatening injuries but later died. Tavera was initially arrested on charges of intoxication assault and aggravated assault, but those charges may be updated with Chen’s death.
The crash remains under investigation.
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,896 people were killed in Texas crashes in 2020, marking a 7.54% increase from the 3,623 deaths reported in 2019.
- 865 of the traffic deaths reported in 2020 were the result of crashes that occurred at or in relation to an intersection.
- 958 people were killed in crashes involving a driver that was under the influence of alcohol.
- An additional 205,498 people were injured in crashes in 2020 with 14,656 people suffering a serious injury.
- Based on reportable crash data for the year:
- One person was killed in a car crash every 2 hours 15 minutes
- One person was injured in a car crash every 2 minutes 34 seconds
- A reportable crash occurred every 1 minute 7 seconds
Speak with an Experienced Austin Car Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one were injured in a car crash in or around Austin, call Thomas J. Henry Law for immediate assistance.
Since 1993, Thomas J. Henry Law has helped thousands of injured victims recover fair compensation for their damages and to get their lives back on track. Nobody should have to face unexpected injuries alone. We have the attorneys, staff, and resources to ensure you get the help and money you need.
Call now for a FREE Case Review with an experienced Austin car accident attorney. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends to help you with your claim. Call now.