Young Woman Killed in San Antonio Chain-Reaction Crash
San Antonio police are investigating a fatal chain-reaction crash that claimed the life of a young woman Saturday night.
Details of the Fatal San Antonio Crash
According to FOX 29, the crash occurred on Interstate 37 North at Florida Street near the Alamodome around 9:00 pm.
Police report the chain-reaction crash involved five vehicles and resulted in the death of a woman in her 20s. They suspect backed-up traffic caused by a concert at the Alamodome may be in part to blame.
A preliminary investigation suggests a pickup truck was traveling on Interstate 37 when the driver swerved to avoid a collision with the congested traffic. The initial crash caused several subsequent collisions involving five vehicles in all.
In addition to the woman who was killed, two other accident victims were taken to the hospital with injuries.
The driver of the pickup was investigated for intoxication, but he was cleared at the scene.
Texas Car Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths reported in 2016 were attributed to a head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Injured in a Car Accident? Contact Thomas J. Henry Law
If you have been injured in a car crash in or around San Antonio, call Thomas J. Henry Law now for a free case consultation. Our San Antonio car accident attorneys have represented clients in San Antonio for more than 25 years. We have built a reputation for securing record-breaking verdicts and settlements for our clients.
Our San Antonio Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone number: 210-941-2191 (attorneys available 24/7 to assist you)
- Address: 5710 W Hausman Rd, Suite 108, San Antonio, Texas 78249