Electric Scooter Present New and Unique Dangers
Electric scooters like those produced by Bird, Lime, and Blue Duck can travel at speeds up to 15 miles per hour. Combine those speeds with limited rider protection, inexperienced operators, and risky rider behavior, and the potential for injury is considerable.
Some of the most common hazards associated with electric scooters are:
- Reduced Visibility: Electric scooters are meant to be compact. While this is great for storing the scooters, it also means that motorists are less likely to see scooter riders. Riders can also easily be hidden from view by objects on and off the roadway.
- Road Hazards: Scooters lack stability. As such, common road hazards like potholes, gravel, debris, and uneven surfaces can cause riders to lose control of their scooters and crash.
- Rider Inexperience: A large percentage of electric scooter riders are operating the scooters for the first time. Even those who have used a Lime, Bird, or Blue Duck scooter are often unfamiliar with the traffic laws that they must abide by resulting in an increased risk of accidents.
- High-Risk Behavior: While some riders may break traffic laws due to inexperience, other riders due so with reckless disregard. This includes riding on the sidewalk, riding against traffic, or rider while intoxicated.
In addition to the above hazards, the potential for accidents can be increased by misuse of the scooters, including:
- Children operating the electric scooters
- People riding the scooters without helmets
- People riding the scooters on sidewalks instead of in a designated bike lane
- Scooters being abandoned in the middle of sidewalks or on the side of streets
- Unoccupied scooters blocking building entrances and exits and handicap access ramps
- More than one person riding on a single scooter at a time
Contact an Experienced Scooter Injury Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in an electric scooter accident, call Thomas J. Henry Law today. Our experienced San Antonio electric scooter accident lawyers are available 24/7, nights and weekends to hear your claim. Scooter accidents can cause great physical and financial harm to an individual and their family. We can help you address medical bills and living costs, letting you focus on healing while we take care of the ongoing legal processes. It is our goal to ensure our clients are taken care of while our injury attorneys fight relentlessly to obtain the real result you need.
Don’t wait — contact Thomas J. Henry Law today for a free legal consultation. Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Dallas, and Austin, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends.