Deceased Austin Car Crash Victim Identified
About the East Austin Crash and Victim
According to CBS Austin, the two vehicle crash occurred in East Austin, Texas around the 7800 block of FM 969 at 4:55 in the morning. The victim of the crash, who has been identified as Charles Bench, was driving a 2005 Honda Accord.
Austin Police Department officials stated Bench was initiating a westbound turn on FM 969 when a 2020 Chevrolet Equinox suddenly crashed into him. The Equinox vehicle’s owner, 28 year-old Anthony Michael DeLeon, was put under arrest for driving while influenced and causing the sudden death of Bench who was declared dead on scene.
Investigators are still looking into the crash scene incident with suspicions of DeLeon.
Anyone with information about the crash or those involved should contact Austin Police Department Vehicular Homicide Unit Detectives: (512) 974-4424.
Texas Car Crash Statistics
According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,721 people were killed in traffic collisions in Texas in 2017.
- 761 of those deaths were associated with crashes that occurred at or in relation to an intersection.
- An additional 254,853 people were killed in traffic accidents in 2017.
- On average:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident in Texas every 2 hours and 21 minutes in 2017.
- A person was injured every 2 minutes and 4 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 59 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Austin Auto Accident Attorney
Have you or a loved one been injured in a car crash in Austin? Our experienced car accident attorneys in Austin are available 24/7 to take your call and provide you with a free legal consultation. Thomas J. Henry has a track record of achieving real result for clients suffering from serious and debilitating injuries. Let our team of attorneys help you navigate the legal process while you focus on healing. Call today to speak with an attorney, or fill out the contact form on this page and we will contact you.