• San Antonio: 210-874-2615
  • Nationwide Toll Free: 866-517-5659
  • Austin: 512-520-0221
  • Corpus Christi: 361-254-7873

How Do I Prove the Wages I Lost After a Trucking Accident?

In order to prove loss of income, you will want to gather the appropriate documentation to support your claim. You attorney will go into more detail, but generally you will want to start by:

  • Getting a letter from your employer indicating how much time you took off.
  • A paycheck stub or W-2 that can be used to calculate hourly rate of pay or your monthly salary.
  • Documentation from your employer showing how many hours a week you work.
  • Documentation from your employer indicating whether you are qualified to receive overtime pay and whether or not you typically work overtime.

Once that information is collected, you can begin calculating a rough estimate of your lost wages by:

  • Determine the number of hours you missed from work. If your hours vary from week to week, calculate the average based on your last two to three weeks of work.
  • Determine the number of overtime hours you missed.
  • Multiply the number of hours you missed by your hourly rate or estimated hourly rate.
  • Multiply any overtime hours by 1.5 your hourly rate or estimated hourly rate.
  • Add the values for regular hours missed to the overtime hours you missed.

If you are salaried, you can work out your lost wages by:

  • Divide your annual salary by the number of hours you work (hours a full time employee works per year: 2,080) in order to get the amount you earn per hour.
  • Calculate the number of hours you missed by multiplying the days you were out of work by 8 (typical work days for salaried employees 8 hours – even if you actually work more).
  • Multiply those two figures to calculate your lost wages.

Tips, commissions, bonuses and other items can be added to the base amount of loss wages.

Contact Us for a Free Case Review


Contact Form
Do you really want to end conversation?
chat-icon Live chat
avatar Waiting