Motorcycle Accident Leaves One Dead
A man died in a motorcycle accident near San Antonio Monday afternoon after authorities say he crashed into the back of another vehicle while on his motorcycle.
About the San Antonio Motorcycle Crash
San Antonio Express-News reports that a man on a motorcycle ran into the back of another vehicle Monday afternoon. He was killed in the accident.
The crash occurred as a woman was getting onto Highway 16 from Highway 211 near the Medina County Line. She cut in front of the motorcyclist to merge into the lane, leaving the motorcyclist no chance to avoid the collision.
Neither of the identities of the persons involved have been released at this time.
It was reported that AirLife transported the motorcyclist to University Hospital. He was in critical condition, but he died while receiving treatment for his injuries.
Motorcycle Crash Statistics
The following information is from the U.S. Department of Transportation:
- 4,612 motorcyclists were killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes in 2011. This was an increase from the 4,518 who died in 2010.
- In 2011, there were approximately 81,000 people injured in motorcycle accidents nationally.
- In 2011, 49% of all motorcycles involved in fatal accidents collided with another type of vehicle in transport.
- Motorcycles are more likely to be involved in a fatal collision with a fixed object than other vehicles.
- From 2002 to 2011, motorcycle fatalities increased by 41 percent.