Traffic crashes are the leading cause of death in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). It is common knowledge that seat belts save lives, yet there are still folks who are not buckling up. While seatbelt use averages 88% nationally, there are still groups less likely to wear seat belts: teens, commercial drivers, males in rural areas, pick-up truck drivers, and people who have been drinking.
Seat Belt Safety Statistics
Information provided by the National Safety Council.
- Wearing a seat belt can reduce the risk of crash injuries by 50%
- Seat belts saved more than 75,000 lives from 2004 to 2008
- 42% of passenger vehicle occupants killed in 2007 were unbelted
- People are less likely to wear seatbelts when they are alone in their car or driving at night
Texas Seatbelt Laws
Sec. 545.413 of the Texas Transportation Code states:
- Everyone in the car must wear a seat belt
- Drivers and passengers can be fined for failing to buckle up
- Fines range from $25 to $200
Seat Belt Safety Tips
Information provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- Buckling up is the single most effective thing you can do to protect yourself in a crash- buckling up saved 13,000 lives in 2008 alone.
- Air bags are designed to work with seat belts, not replace them- failing to wear your seatbelt could put you at risk for injury from air bag impact.
- Seat belts only work when they are used correctly- wear your seatbelt the way it was meant to be worn, with the lap belt and shoulder belt secured over your body.
- Fit matters- Use seat belt adjusters or extenders to get the best fit.
- Occupant protection is for everyone- there are various safety restraint systems designed to protect passengers of all ages.
Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney
Thomas J. Henry is a personal injury law firm with offices in Corpus Christi, Texas and Houston, Texas representing accident victims nationwide. Our priority is to provide our clients with the best legal representation. Our experienced trial attorneys are committed to defending your rights in personal injury matters including defective products, trucking accidents, maritime accidents, and other catastrophic accidents.