About the Hit and Run
Ksat.com reports that on Monday, February 4, a 58-year-old cyclist named Naji Tanios Kayruz was struck and killed by an SUV while traveling in a bike lane.
Authorities believe the motorist, who was under the influence of alcohol at the time, veered into the bike lane and collided with Kayruz before fleeing the scene. The driver has been taken into custody.
Information About Car Crashes in the State of Texas
- In 2017, more than 3,500 people were killed and more 17,500 people sustained serious injuries in vehicle crashes in Texas.
- In 2017, twenty-eight percent of crash-related fatalities in Texas involved a driver under the influence of alcohol.
- Forty percent of people killed in restraint-equipped vehicles in Texas in 2017 were not restrained at the time of the crash.
- There were 57 total pedalcyclist fatalities in 2017 in the state of Texas.
Bicycle Safety Tips
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has several recommendations for staying safe on a bike, including:
- Wearing a helmet at all times
- Wearing fluorescent or bright clothing while cycling
- Planning routes in advance to avoid heavily-trafficked areas
- Obeying traffic laws, street signs, and road markings
- Following the flow of traffic
- Making sure your bike is the proper size and that it functions correctly
Contact an Experienced Bicycle Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a bicycle accident involving a motor vehicle, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced automobile and bicycle injury lawyers have handled a multitude of accident cases and have achieved record-breaking, real results for injured clients. We ensure that you are in the best position possible to achieve the maximum amount of compensation for your case. You can recover compensation for medical expenses, your pain and suffering, and lost wages form missing work. Our injury attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends to evaluate your claim. Contact us today for a free case review.