About the Fatal San Antonio Motorcycle Accident
The SAPD have identified 37-year-old Michael Brandon Guerra as the deceased victim of a multi-vehicle accident that occurred in San Antonio last month.
The crash happened around 2:30 p.m. Saturday, April 25, at the 200 block of SW Military Drive next to South Flores Street, according to KSAT.
A delivery truck driver says he was headed west on Military Drive when he began to experience brake issues. Soon after, the truck hit a Chevy Cobalt which then collided into the motorcyclist as well as several other vehicles. The force of collision caused Guerra’s motorcycle to fly 40 yards away and trapped Guerra underneath the truck.
Authorities reported that Guerra was dead on scene.
A total of seven vehicles were believed to have been struck in the crash. Investigations into the crash are ongoing.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
The following information regarding motorcycle accidents is provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 4,976 motorcyclists were killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes in 2015 — an increase of eight percent from 2014.
- Motorcyclists injured in crashes decreased in 2015, with an estimated 88,000 sustaining injuries in motor vehicle wrecks compared to 92,000 in 2014.
- Although motorcycles accounted for a mere three percent of all registered vehicles in the United States in 2014, motorcyclist fatalities accounted for 14 percent of all traffic crash deaths.
- In 2015, one-third of all motorcycle riders involved in fatal crashes were speeding.
- Florida lead the nation in motorcyclist fatalities (616) followed by California (462) and Texas (443).
Injuries Often Associated with Motorcycle Accidents
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), per vehicle mile traveled in 2014, motorcyclist fatalities occurred nearly 27 times more frequently than passenger car occupant fatalities in traffic crashes. Motorcyclists were also five times more likely to be injured in a crash. Several factors can cause motorcycle accidents, from speeding and objects in the roadway to mechanical issues and alcohol use.
Common injuries associated with motorcycle accidents include:
- Head injuries (traumatic brain injuries)
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord and back injuries
- Broken and fractured bones
- Road rash (skin abrasion due to direct contact with roadway)
- Eye injuries
Speak to a Corpus Christi Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Following a motorcycle accident, it is important to seek immediate medical treatment and file a police report. After you or your loved one’s well-being is taken care of, call Thomas J. Henry. We’re available 24/7 to take your call and discuss your case at no charge. For more than 25 years, our motorcycle accident attorneys in Corpus Christi have helped injured victims receive the justice and compensation they deserve.