Popular Baby Foods Contain “Dangerously High Levels” of Toxic Heavy Metals
The revelation that some of the most popular baby food products in the United States contain dangerous toxins was the subject of a 2020 report by a U.S. Congressional Subcommittee. A second report issued in 2021 supported these findings.
According to the subcommittee, “dangerously high levels” of arsenic, mercury, lead, and cadmium were found in various baby food products, including infant rice cereal, teething biscuits, purees, rice cakes, and others. Among companies believed to be producing tainted baby foods are:
- Hain Celestial Group – Earth’s Best Organic
- Nurture – Happy Family Organics and Happy BABY
- Plum Organics
- Sprout Foods – Sprout Organic Food
- Walmart – Parent’s Choice
The report also stated that the companies knew of the presence of harmful heavy metals in the baby food, but sold the products nonetheless.
Details of the Toxic Baby Food Report Findings
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) have strict guidelines on the presence of heavy metals in food and beverages. For example, bottled drinking water is only allowed to contain up to:
- 10 parts per billion (ppb) of inorganic arsenic
- 5 ppb of cadmium
- 5 ppb of lead
- 2 ppb of mercury
The subcommittee report found levels of each of these toxins far in excess of the allowed amounts. This includes levels:
- Up to 91 times more than the level of arsenic deemed acceptable for adults
- Up to 69 times more than the level of cadmium deemed acceptable for adults
- Up to 177 times more than the level of lead deemed acceptable for adults
- Up to 5 times more than the level of mercury deemed acceptable for adults
Surprisingly, these findings were pulled from the companies’ own testing and documents, meaning the companies were well aware their products were tainted and dangerous.
What If My Child Was Exposed to Toxic Baby Products?
If your suspect your child developed autism, ADHD, or other neurodevelopmental disorders after being exposed to baby foods containing arsenic, lead, cadmium, or mercury, call Thomas J. Henry Law.
Our attorneys have represented thousands of clients involved in product liability and mass tort litigation. We have the resources, attorneys, and staff to ensure your case is handled with the attention it deserves.
You may be entitled to damages including:
- Past and future medical expenses to treat your child’s injuries
- Past and future mental and physical pain and suffering your child experiences due to their injuries
- Future wage loss, if applicable
- Other economic losses due to your child’s injuries
Punitive damages may also be available if deemed appropriate.
Call now for a FREE case review with a qualified product liability attorney.