Spinal Cord & Back Injuries
LEGAL REPRESENTATION FOR SPINAL CORD AND BACK INJURY VICTIMS
The human back is an intricate structure of bones, muscles, and other tissues extending from the neck to the pelvis. The backbone runs down the middle of the back and protects the spinal cord, a bundle of nerves which transmit information between the brain and the rest of the body. Due to the important functions of the back and spinal cord, injuries to these areas can be devastating and life-altering.
CAUSES OF SPINAL CORD AND BACK INJURIES
There are many different causes of spinal cord and back injuries, including
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Acts of physical violence
- Recreational sports activities
- On the job accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Defective products
TYPES OF SPINAL CORD AND BACK INJURIES
Back injuries: Because back injuries involve only the bones in the back, a person can actually “break” their back or neck without sustaining a paralyzing spinal cord injury. Back injuries include:
- Sprains and strains
- Herniated disks
- Fractured vertebrae
Spinal cord injuries: Spinal cord injuries, as opposed to back injuries, can cause paralysis or death. Spinal cord injuries are categorized by the level of injury and how much motor function is left below that level. They are grouped into one of two categories:
- Complete injury — no function below the primary level of injury
- Incomplete injury — some functioning below the primary level of injury
Complications form a severe spinal cord injury may include respiratory issues, irregular heartbeat, persistent pain, blood clots, and sexual dysfunction.
SYMPTOMS OF SPINAL CORD AND BACK INJURIES
Individuals suffering from a spinal cord or back injury may exhibit the following signs and symptoms:
- Head that is in an unusual position
- Numbness or tingling that spreads down an arm or leg
- Weakness or difficulty walking
- Paralysis of arms or legs
- No bladder or bowel control
- Symptoms of shock (pale, clammy skin; bluish lips and fingernails; acting dazed or semiconscious)
- Lack of alertness (unconsciousness)
- Stiff neck, headache, or neck pain
SPINAL CORD AND BACK INJURY FACTS AND STATISTICS
Here are statistics regarding spinal cord and back injuries in the United States:
- There are an estimated 10,000 to 12,000 spinal cord/back injuries every year in the United States.
- A quarter of a million Americans are currently living with spinal cord/back injuries.
- The cost of managing the care of spinal cord and back injury patients approaches $4 billion each year.
- 55% of spinal cord/back injury victims are between 16 and 30 years old.
- More than 80% of spinal cord/back injury patients are men.
Information provided by the National Institutes of Health.
COMPENSATION FOR SPINAL CORD AND BACK INJURIES
Any person who has suffered a spinal cord or back injury knows that the road to recovery can be long and expensive. If the injury was caused by a person’s negligence or by a defective product, the injured person may consider filing a lawsuit to recover compensatory damages for:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Cost of assisted devices
- Modifications necessary for the home
CONTACT AN EXPERIENCED SPINAL CORD AND BACK INJURY LAWYER
If you or a loved one have suffered from a severe spinal cord injury or back injury, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. Our experienced personal injury attorneys are backed by the legal and financial resources necessary to recover the maximum amount of compensation for your injuries. Insurance companies will try to offer amounts that do not take into account the catastrophic impact a spinal cord injury may have on the rest of your life. We will fight to get you the compensation you deserve for your injuries, pain and suffering, lost wages, medical costs, mental anguish, and more. Our lawyers are available 24/7, nights and weekends to evaluate your claim. Contact us today for a free case review.
THOMAS J. HENRY – 2016 TEXAS’ TOP RATED LAWYERSAwarded In 2016 to Thomas J. Henry by Legal Leaders (An ALM Company)
THOMAS J. HENRY – PREMIER LAW FIRM OF 2016Awarded In 2016 to Thomas J. Henry by Newsweek.com
RECENT RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionNet to Client: $20.1 Million | Expenses: $39,576.15 | Attorney Fees: $10,060,980.00