4 Motorcyclists Injured in Balch Springs Crash
Details of the Balch Springs Crash
According to NBC-DFW, the collision was originally reported as an 18-wheeler accident involving five motorcyclists. However, later reports indicate an SUV struck one motorcyclist causing three others to crash as they attempted to avoid the wreck.
The crash occurred on Interstate 20 near U.S. 175 just before 4 pm. Two of the motorcyclists were transported to a hospital by helicopter, and two others were transported by ground. The severity of the motorcyclists’ injuries were not immediately available.
The driver of the SUV told police she panicked as the riders sped around her vehicle and tried to change lanes, clipping one of the motorcyclists.
2016 Texas Traffic Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in traffic accidents in Texas in 2016, marking a 5.45-percent increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 496 of those who lost their lives in traffic collisions in Texas in 2016 were motorcyclists (operators and passengers). Fifty-three percent of motorcyclists killed were not wearing helmets at the time of their collision.
- An additional 265,076 people were injured in traffic accidents in Texas in 2016, with 14,202 people suffering incapacitating injuries.
- Based on reportable crash data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident in Texas every 2 hours and 20 minutes
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds
Contact an Experienced Motorcycle Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one were injured in a motorcycle accident, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced motorcycle injury attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends to hear your claim. We can visit you wherever you reside, whether it be at your home, workplace, or at the hospital. Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review.