1 Dead, 6 Injured in Falfurrias Trucking Accident
Details of the Falfurrias Truck Accident
According the Corpus Christi Caller-Times, the crash occurred Tuesday afternoon at around 4:30 pm. Several vehicles were stopped at a construction zone on State Highway 285, about six miles east of Falfurrias, when a 2019 Kenworth tractor-trailer struck a pickup, causing a chain-reaction collision.
The driver of Kenworth truck was pronounced dead at the scene. Authorities have identified him as Fernando Davalos of Los Fresno.
At least six other people were injured in the crash. One person was taken to Christus Spohn Hospital Shoreline in Corpus Christi by halo flight, three people were taken to Christus Spohn Hospital in Alice, and two people were transported to Christus Spohn Hospital in Kingsville.
The accident remains under investigation.
Texas Trucking Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2016:
- 11.5 million large trucks were registered in the United States
- An estimated 433,000 police-reported traffic crashes occurred involving large trucks
- 4,317 people were killed in crashes involving large trucks
- Large trucks accounted for eight percent of all vehicles involved in fatal accidents
- An estimated 116,000 people sustained injuries in crashes involving large trucks
- Of the fatalities that occurred in large truck crashes in 2015, 84 percent were occupants of other vehicles or non-occupants, such as pedestrians or bicyclists
- About one out of every four fatal crashes involving a large truck occurs on an interstate highway
- States with the most fatalities in traffic crashes involving large trucks:
- Texas — 556
- California — 322
- Florida — 293
- Georgia — 179
- Illinois – 146
Injured in a Trucking Accident? Contact Thomas J. Henry
If you or a loved one have suffered a serious injury after being involved in an 18-wheeler accident, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. Our experienced commercial trucking injury attorneys are available to respond to semi-truck accidents at any hour, day or night. Our lawyers understand that the immediate acquisition of evidence is paramount to understanding how the accident occurred. We will take immediate action on your case.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Remember, your choice does matter. Contact us today for a free legal consultation. Attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends.