About the San Antonio Drunk Driving Crash
The crash took place on Interstate 35 southbound near Southwest Military Drive, according to KSAT.
Police said the sedan driver was travelling the wrong way down the main lanes on Interstate 35 southbound when he crashed head-on into a minivan just before 11:30 p.m. The minivan was carrying a family of five, including a 47-year-old woman who suffered a broken leg and a 3-year-old who suffered minor injuries. According to authorities, both the woman and the 3-year-old were taken to University Hospital.
The unidentified sedan driver was taken to an area hospital in serious condition. He now faces an intoxication assault charge, police said.
Alcohol-Impaired Driving Facts
Information taken from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- Every day, 29 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver. This is one death every 50 minutes.
- The annual cost of alcohol-related crashes totals more than $44 billion.
- In 2016, 10,497 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for 28% of all traffic-related deaths in the United States.
- Of the 1,233 traffic deaths among children ages 0 to 14 years in 2016, 214 (17%) involved an alcohol-impaired driver.
- In 2016, more than 1 million drivers were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics. That’s one percent of the 111 million self-reported episodes of alcohol-impaired driving among U.S. adults each year.
Contact an Experienced Drunk Driving Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.