On Sunday, January 5, three people were injured and two died in a three-vehicle wreck east of Marshall, Texas.
Details of the Fatal Texas Crash
According to KWTX, the two victims who died, Haley Lynn Carroll, 22 and Dusty James Gabbard, 23, died on U.S Highway 80, at the scene of the accident. The two were riding in a 2007 Dodge Caliper which Carroll was driving southbound at around 6:55 pm, on County Road 2218.
Reports indicate that Carroll neglected to stop at the intersection with U.S 80 and subsequently lost control of the vehicle, which then rolled into the eastbound lane of the highway. A 2017 Ford Mustang driven by Charles Guyer, 20, then struck the rolling vehicle. The crash between the Mustang and Dodge then caused Carroll’s vehicle to enter the westbound lane, where it was again struck by a 2019 Chevy Blazer driven by Jesse Wayne Wink, 69.
The other three individuals involved in the crash were all sent to the hospital. Wink and his passenger, Barbara Wink are listed as stable, while Guyer has been released.
Texas Car Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,721 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2017, marking a slight decrease from the 3,794 deaths reported in 2016.
- 552 of the deaths reported in 2017 were attributed to head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 254,853 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2017.
- Based on reportable data for 2017, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 21 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 4 seconds
- A reportable crash occurred every 59 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Texas Car Accident Lawyer
you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.