Three years after Javier Maya’s death, the woman responsible for his fatal crash has been convicted of intoxication manslaughter and sentenced to 10 years in prison.
About the Fatal Crash 3 Years Ago
On May 30, 2016, 22-year old Javier Maya was killed in an automotive crash in San Antonio involving a drunken driver named Nydia Angelica Pena.
According to reports, Pena was driving on SW Military Dr. when she disregarded a traffic light and collided with Javier Maya’s vehicle. Maya died as a result of the extreme injuries he sustained.
Pena was brought up on criminal charges of intoxication manslaughter and assault, but she was not sentenced at the time.
Pena Is Sentenced, Victim’s Family Finds Closure
Three years after the tragic incident, Nydia Pena has been convicted of her crimes and sentenced to 10 years in prison.
Upon hearing the news of Pena’s sentence, Maya’s brother Octavio felt a sense of closure. He believes that preventing drunken accidents is crucial and has taken on a mission to speak out against drunk driving in his brother’s honor.
Texas Crash Statistics 2017
Information provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 1,046 people were killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes where a driver was under the influence of alcohol. This is 28% of the total number of people killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes.
- Alcohol crashes were reported in the hour between 2:00 am and 2:59 am than any other hour of the day. Also, more of these crashes occurred on Sunday than any other day of the week.
- 254,415 persons were injured in motor vehicle traffic crashes, 14,282 were serious injury crashes with 17,535 people sustaining a serious injury.
- 763 people were killed in crashes occurring in intersections or related to an intersection.
- 553 people were killed in head-on crashes in 2017.
- There were no deathless days on Texas roadways in 2017.
Contact an Experienced Texas Car Accident Lawyer
you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.