Details of the Fatal Austin Crash
The crash happened on the intersection of the East Ben White Boulevard service road and Todd Lane on April 20th. According to police, a flatbed truck ran a red light, hit the driver’s side of a white pickup truck, and continued heading south. The pickup truck driver was pronounced dead at 4:02 p.m. Police later identified the victim as Lucino Gonzales LandaVerde.
Police expect no charges to be filed.
According to the Austin American-Statesman, this crash marks the 30th traffic death in Austin so far this year.
2018 Texas Motor Vehicle Traffic Crash Facts
Information taken from the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- In 2018 there were 701 people killed in crashes occurring in intersections or related to an intersection.
- There were 548 people killed in head-on crashes in 2018.
- There were no deathless days on Texas roadways in 2018.
- There were no crashes that resulted in 6 or more fatalities in 2018.
- Sunday, November 11th was the deadliest day in 2018 with twenty-five (25) persons killed in traffic crashes. October was the deadliest month with 332 persons killed.
- Of all persons killed in vehicles where restraint usage was applicable and usage was known in 2018, 43.06% were reported as not restrained when the fatal crash occurred.
- 249,241 persons were injured in motor vehicle traffic crashes in 2018.
- Based on reportable crashes in 2018:
- 1 person was killed every 2 hours 25 minutes
- 1 person was injured every 2 minutes 7 seconds
- 1 reportable crash occurred every 58 seconds
Contact an Experienced Austin Car Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.