120 Sick in in National Ground Beef Recall
120 people have fallen ill across 22 states in connection with an ongoing recall of salmonella-contaminated ground beef.
Details of the Ground Beef Recall
NBC News reports that beef distributed by JBS Tolleson, Inc. of Tolleson, Arizona was sold by several large retailers including Walmart and Sam’s Club. The company recalled 6.5 million pounds of beef products earlier this month when the contamination was discovered.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported that 33 of the 120 people who have fallen ill were hospitalized with severe infections. Fortunately, no deaths have been reported.
The products were sold under several labels, including Cedar River Farms, Gourmet Burger, Grass Run Farms Natural Beef, JBS Generic, Showcase and Showcase/Walmart. Affected products were sold at retailers including Walmart Stores in Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada, and Texas.
Other affected Texas retailers, include:
- Acacia Food Mart of Houston, Texas
- Ali Baba International Food Market, Inc. of San Antonio, Texas
- Bakkal Mart of Richardson, Texas
- Giza Specialty Foods of Bedford, Texas
- International Food Market of Austin, Texas
- Mark Specialty Food LLC of Euless, Texas
Salmonella Symptoms and Statistics
- According to the CDC, Salmonella causes in one million food borne illnesses every year, resulting in 19,000 hospitalizations and 380 deaths.
- Common symptoms include:
- Abdominal cramps
- Symptoms appear 12 to 72 hours after infection and usually persist for four to seven days.
- Infections and illness tend to be more serious in young children, the elderly, and those with weakened immune systems.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
If you or a loved one have suffered an injury or illness due to a defective or dangerous product, contact Thomas J. Henry. Over two decades of experience handling a multitude of defective product cases and extensive legal and financial resources allow us to provide our clients with truly dynamic legal representation. Thomas J. Henry has a proven track record of achieving real results for clients devastated by recalled products.
Let us help you recover the compensation you are entitled to. Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Contact us today for a free case review.