Reckless Drivers Kills Three Family Members in Heated Crash
A driver in Harris County was charged with three counts of manslaughter after killing a grandmother, mother, and baby boy on Wednesday.
About the Three Counts of Manslaughter Crash
According to ABC 13 Eyewitness News, the perpetrator, 30-year-old Gregory Smith, has had over 10 criminal charges filed against him including a DWI offense and assault on a police officer. Authorities believe Smith was speeding through red lights in his SUV down Antoine at North Beltway 8 before crashing into a van.
The major impact from the collision caused the van to spin out of control and burst into flames. The inhabitants of the van were a family of four including a grandmother, mother, infant boy, and 11-year-old daughter. While three of the members were pronounced dead at the scene, the 11 year-old daughter and sister to the infant was flung 30 feet outside of the wreck and survived.
Smith was transported to Ben Taub hospital after the crash with several injuries. He is currently in police custody and being held without bond.
Texas Car Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,721 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2017, marking a slight decrease from the 3,794 deaths reported in 2016.
- 552 of the deaths reported in 2017 were attributed to head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 254,853 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2017.
- Based on reportable data for 2017, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 21 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 4 seconds
- A reportable crash occurred every 59 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Texas Car Accident Lawyer
you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.