San Antonio Woman Killed in Hit-and-Run Trucking Accident
About the Fatal Hit-and-Run Trucking Accident
According to KSAT, the San Antonio Police Department have arrested a truck driver they believe is responsible for a brutal accident that led to the death of a female victim. The truck driver fled from the crash site but was later located by authorities.
According to preliminary reports, the 18-wheeler struck the back of a Ford Fiesta while traveling in the eastbound lanes of Interstate 10 on May 22. The woman driving the Ford Fiesta was killed instantly.
Police located the abandoned truck in Rivercenter with remnants of the Ford Fiesta stuck to the vehicle.
The driver of the 19-wheeler, Justin Antwan Jackson, 29, was arrested shortly afer. According to police, Jackson clamed he tried to avoid the collision and admitted to fleeing the scene. He also told police that his employer had urged him to lie about his role in the accident.
Jackson is charged with Failure to Stop and Render Aid.
Trucking Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2016:
- An estimated 433,000 police-reported traffic crashes occurred involving large trucks
- 4,317 people were killed in crashes involving large trucks
- Large trucks accounted for eight percent of all vehicles involved in fatal accidents
- An estimated 116,000 people sustained injuries in crashes involving large trucks
- Of the fatalities that occurred in large truck crashes in 2015, 84 percent were occupants of other vehicles or non-occupants, such as pedestrians or bicyclists
- About one out of every four fatal crashes involving a large truck occurs on an interstate highway
- States with the most fatalities in traffic crashes involving large trucks:
- Texas — 556
- California — 322
- Florida — 293
- Georgia — 179
- Illinois – 146
Injured in a Trucking Accident? Call Thomas J. Henry
If you or a loved one have suffered a serious injury after being involved in an 18-wheeler accident, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. Our experienced commercial trucking injury attorneys are available to respond to semi-truck accidents at any hour, day or night. Our lawyers understand that the immediate acquisition of evidence is paramount to understanding how the accident occurred. We will take immediate action on your case.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Remember, your choice does matter. Contact us today for a free legal consultation. Attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends.