Things to Consider When Leaving Children Home Alone
Safety Steps for Home Alone Children
The American Red Cross suggests many helpful strategies for keeping younger children (of legal age) safe in their primary residences. Among these include:
- Constant check-ins through messaging or phone calls
- Keeping an emergency list of contacts readily available
- Concealing dangerous items away from children’s reach (weapons, prescriptions, power tools, etc.)
- Teach children emergency routes and plans
- Educate children on keeping doors locked and not answering to strangers
- Maintain working equipment such as smoke alarms
- Use safety covers over outlets
- Leave money for emergencies
Alternatives to Leaving Children Home Alone
The legal age to leave a child alone varies from state to state. Most ages vary from 8 to 14 years. There are several other options to consider if leaving a child alone is out of the question.
Extracurricular after school programs or youth clubs in centers such as churches allow you to keep your child under safe supervision and know where they are at all times.
Other options include professional babysitters or nannies, daycare centers, or even family members houses. There are many government funded and non profit programs such as the Children of America or Child Care Assistance Program that are more than willing to assist caretakers in finding child care help.
Has Your Child Suffered a Serious Injury Due to an Accident?
If your child suffers an injury in an accident, contact Thomas J. Henry. Children are vulnerable to injury, especially when negligent individuals and property owners put their safety in jeopardy. Automobile accidents, unsafe premises, medical malpractice, and defective toys can all cause severe harm to our children
When your child suffers from a severe injury, you need a law firm with experienced injury attorneys and the legal resources to win your case. Thomas J. Henry has experience representing clients from across the nation in various types of accidents and obtaining record-breaking, real results.