About the Head-On Collision
According to the Dallas Morning News, Shamyia Walton, 37, drove the wrong direction on westbound Canada Drive around 7:20 pm Tuesday before crashing into a pickup which then caught fire.
The occupants of the burning truck, identified as Thois Hutchinson, 62, and his wife, were pulled from the vehicle by bystanders before first responders arrived. Firefighters then extricated Walton and her male passenger from the minivan.
Both Walton and Hutchinson were rushed to Parkland Memorial Hospital where they were pronounced dead. Their passengers were hospitalized and are listed in stable condition.
The accident remains under investigation.
Texas Head-On Collision Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in traffic accidents in Texas in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths recorded in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths recorded in 2016 were attributed to head-on collision.
- An additional 265,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable crash data for 2016:
- One person was killed every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Auto Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced car accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.