Young Woman Loses Life in Reckless, Drunken Accident
About the San Antonio Accident
On Monday morning, February 17, young Jasmine Claire Goudeau was identified by San Antonio medical coroners as the deceased victim of a serious crash near the intersection of Culebra Road and Micron Drive.
Police say the crash occurred when a white truck sped through a red light and crashing into Goudeau’s silver SUV. Following the incident, EMS swiftly transported Goudeau to University Hospital to treat her intensive wounds. She ultimately succumbed to her injuries.
The owner and driver of the white truck, 28-year-old Erick Eduardo Casas, has been taken into custody by authorities and is to be charged with intoxication manslaughter.
Texas Laws Surrounding Manslaughter
- Rather than distinguish between involuntary manslaughter and voluntary manslaughter, the state of Texas combines the two with intense penalties.
- An individual can only be charged with manslaughter if prosecutors can find hard, substantial evidence that the individual recklessly caused the death of another victim.
- Intoxication manslaughter and vehicular manslaughter are both types of manslaughter within the broad spectrum of Texas manslaughter in which individuals can be charged for.
- Insanity, self defense, or heat of passion are a few defenses individuals can use to try and defend themselves if charged with manslaughter.
Statistics of Drunk Driving in America
The following information was provided by the United States Department of Transportation:
- Nearly 30 people are killed everyday from involvement of drunk driving accidents (1 person every 50 minutes).
- In 2018, 10,511 deaths occurred from drunk drivers (29% motor vehicle traffic fatalities).
- Approximately one-third of all traffic crash fatalities in the United States involve drunk drivers (with BACs of .08 g/dL or higher).
Contact an Experienced Drunk Driving Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.