A traffic accident in West, Texas left one man dead and another seriously injured on Wednesday.
Authorities Investigate Fatal West Crash
According to KWKT, the accident occurred when a 2009 Dodge Ram that was traveling northbound on I-35 suddenly veered of the road and hit a pile of sand before becoming airborn and hitting a concrete machine.
Witnesses reported seeing the 73-year-old driver of the pickup, Frank Cdebaca, slumped over his steering wheel in the moments preceding the crash. Cdebaca was pronounced dead at the scene.
A construction worker, Manuel Hernandez, 19, was injured in the accident. Hernandez was working underneath the concrete machine when the Dodge pickup slammed into it. He has been hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries.
Officials have ordered an autopsy on Cdebaca’s body and are trying to determine if Cdebaca died from a medical condition prior to the accident.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
- According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), 3,377 people were killed in traffic collisions in 2013. This marked a 1.05 percent decrease from the 3,413 deaths reported in 2012.
- Another 232,041 people were injured in Texas auto accidents with 89,270 people sustaining serious injuries.
- Using available crash data, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in an auto accident in Texas every 2 hours and 36 minutes.
- One person was injured in an auto accident every 2 minutes and 16 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 71 seconds.