Texas Cyclist Seriously Injured in Hit-and-Run Accident
About the Hit-and-Run Bicycle Accident
Police say the accident occurred on June 26th in Crowley, Texas, at approximately 8 p.m. in the 1800 block of FM 1187. The victim was injured when he got off his bicycle to tie his shoe and a vehicle struck him before fleeing the scene.
The vehicle involved in the hit-and-run was described by a witness as a small white or gray SUV. The witness said the driver of the vehicle braked temporarily before swerving around something in the road and proceeding to drive west on FM 1187.
The cyclist, who was not identified, sustained serious injuries in the hit-and-run accident. He was taken to John Peter Smith hospital. The injuries suffered by the cyclist include broken bones and internal injuries.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
The following Texas car crash statistics are provided by the Texas Department of Transportation:
- In 2012 the fatality rate on Texas roadways was 1.41 deaths per hundred million miles traveled.
- There was an increase in the number of traffic fatalities from 2011 to 2012 in Texas. The death toll increased by 10.82% in 2012, from 3,067 deaths in 2011 to 3,399 deaths in 2012.
- There were 63,610 serious injury crashes in 2012 and 87,087 people sustaining serious injuries.
- In 2012: 1 person was killed every 2 hours and 35 minutes; 1 person was injured every 2 minutes and 17 seconds; and 1 reportable crash occurred every 75 seconds.
- 1,099 people were killed in motor vehicle accidents where the driver was under the influence of alcohol.
- More alcohol crashes were reported in the hour between 2am and 3am than any other hour of the day.