1 Dead, 2 Injured in Northeast Austin Accident
Details of the Austin Motorcycle Accident
KVUE reports that the accident occurred when on the motorcycles bumped into each other, causing both vehicles to lose control.
One of the motorcycles collided with the back of an SUV and its rider became pinned underneath the vehicle. The motorcyclists, a 40-year-old male, was extracted from under the vehicle, but was pronounced dead at University Medical Center Brackenridge.
At least two others were injured in the incident, but details concerning their identities and the extent of their injuries were not released.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
- The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,377 people were killed in motor vehicle accidents in 2013 – a 1.05-percent decrease from the 3,413 deaths recorded in 2012.
- Motorcyclists accounted for 495 of those deaths. 53-percent of the motorcyclists killed were not wearing helmets at the time of the crash.
- Another 232,041 people were injured in auto accidents in 2013.
- Using available crash information for 2013, TxDOT estimates;
- One person was killed in an auto accident in Texas every 2 hours and 36 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 16 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 71 seconds.