An Illinois man who was convicted for killing three individuals from the medical profession in a car crash in Kenosha, Illinois was sentenced to 32 years in prison with an additional 17 years of supervision.
Details of the Fatal Drunk Driving Crash
The accident was drunk driving related. It was reported that Vandervere had a blood alcohol concentration of .316, just under four times the legal limit of .08 on the night of the crash..
The convicted Timothy Vandervere appeared in the Kenosha County Courts on Thursday, September 19th. Vandervere pled guilty to three counts of homicide by use of a vehicle and one count of injury/use of vehicle in connection to a crash which killed three prominent residents of Kenosha.
As a result of the guilty plea, several charges were dismissed:
- First degree reckless homicide (three counts)
- Knowingly operate motor vehicle while revoked — causing death of another (three counts)
- Reckless driving causing great bodily harm
- Knowingly operate motor vehicle while revoked — causing great bodily harm
- Operate motor vehicle while revoked
Vandervere has expressed regret for his actions and extended his apologies to those families affected.
The Rizzo family lost nearly an entire generation as a result of the accident. Vandervere’s pickup truck slammed into an SUV with four members of the Rizzo family inside on Friday, April 5. The victims included Dr. Michael Rizzo, 67, Mary Rizzo, 74 and Dr. Vincent Rizzo. Gerald Rizzo, another family member was also injured in the accident.
Drunk Driving and DUI Statistics
- In 2016, 10,497 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for 28% of all traffic-related deaths in the United States.1
- In 2016, more than 1 million drivers were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics.
Reach out to an Experienced Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one has experienced an injury due to a motor vehicle accident do not hesitate to call Thomas J. Henry. With over two decades of experience involving injury and motor vehicle accident cases, and extensive legal and financial resources, we can provide our clients with truly dynamic legal representation. Thomas J. Henry has a history of finding real results for clients whose lives are interrupted by recalled products.