Police are searching for the driver responsible for a fatal hit-and-run crash along the East Freeway in Houston.
Details of the Fatal Houston Accident
According to ABC 13, the crash occurred around 4 am Sunday in the 12400 block of East Freeway. Police say a truck crashed into a woman’s vehicle that was parked on the shoulder of the freeway. The impact caused the parked vehicle to rollover.
Witnesses say the driver of the truck fled the scene on foot. Police are now searching for him.
The accident remains under investigation.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths reported in 2016 were attributed to head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Houston Car Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced Houston car accident lawyers have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.