According to police, last Thursday, a 9-year-old girl passed away after being struck by a school bus in Bethesda, Montgomery County.
Details of the Fatal School Bus Accident
The Washington Post reports that the incident occurred at Millwood Road and Tanglewood Drive at around 3:45 pm Thursday. A preliminary investigation conducted late on Thursday revealed that the bus driver had turned right onto Millwood Road off of Tanglewood drive after several students stepped off the bus, the victim included.
The police released a statement that, “For reasons still under investigation, the 9-year-old female was struck by the bus.” Spokesperson for Fire and Rescue services, Pete Piringer, said that county medics transported the girl to a hospital to treat life-threatening injuries, though unfortunately the girl later died.
Neither the school bus driver nor any other students were injured. A school official confirmed that the girl was a student at Bradley Hills Elementary School. In a letter regarding the accident to the families of the school, Karen Caroscio, the principal, wrote that the community was “heartbroken by this tragic news.” Counselors and psychologists would be at the school through the next week to help students cope.
Statistics of School Transportation Crashes
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that between 2004 and 2013, there were over 1,344 people killed in school-transportation-related crashes. This totals to 1,344 fatalities per year.
- 8% of the 1,344 fatalities were passengers of school buses.
- 71% of the people who died in these crashes were passengers of other crashed vehicles.
- 21% of the fatalities were non-passengers, including pedestrians, bicyclists, etc.,
- Between 2004 and 2013, 45 drivers and 61 passengers school transportation vehicles.
Contact an Experienced Child Injury Attorney
At Thomas J. Henry Injury Attorneys, we have the experience and resources to handle your child’s case. If your child has been injured in a school bus accident, contact our offices. Our experienced bus accident lawyers are available 24/7, nights and weekends, and can provide you with a free case review.