• San Antonio: 210-874-2615
  • Nationwide Toll Free: 866-517-5659
  • Austin: 512-520-0221
  • Corpus Christi: 361-254-7873

Man Seriously Injured After E-Cigarette Explodes In Mouth


An Idaho man was seriously injured while smoking his e-cigarette before going to work this week after the device unexpectedly “blew up” in his mouth.

E-Cigarette Explosion Causes Significant Injuries

According to several news outlets, Andrew Hall, 30, sustained second-degree burns on his face, lost seven of his teeth, and was put under intensive care at a local hospital, where fragments of plastic were removed from his lips and throat.

This accident took place inside Hall’s bathroom at his home in Pocatello while he was standing in front of the sink preparing for his day, apparently around 8 a.m. on January 16th.

Hall has since stated that while he has been smoking for about a year, he will no longer make use of e-cigarettes after this incident. The explosion itself was presumably caused by a battery issue inside the e-cigarette.

Electronic Cigarette Injury Statistics

According to the 2014 Electronic Fire Cigarette Fires and Explosions publication released by the U.S. Fire Administration (a division of the Federal Emergency Management Agency), fires or explosions caused by e-cigarettes are generally considered quite rare, and most of these incidents usually occurred while the battery was charging.

Twenty-five incidents of explosion or fire in relation to e-cigarettes have been reported between 2009 and August 2014, resulting in a total of nine injuries and no deaths.

80% of the cases, or 20 incidents, occurred when the battery was being charged, while 8% of the cases, or 2 incidents, happened when the e-cigarette was actually being used.

Contact Us for a Free Case Review

info@tjhlaw.com

Contact Form
Loading...
Do you really want to end conversation?
chat-icon Live chat
avatar Waiting