Jury Recommends $25 Million in Johnson and Johnson Lawsuit
Cydney Patterson12 months ago
A woman was recently awarded $25 million in a lawsuit against Johnson and Johnson and other defendants. The woman claimed she developed cancer from using Johnson and Johnson baby powder.
Woman Developed Mesothelioma After Using J&J Baby Powder
According to NBC News, jurors recommended $4 million in punitive damage last Thursday, saying that the company acted with malice, oppression and fraud. The day before, the jury had called for $21.7 million in compensatory damages for the plaintiff who suffers from mesothelioma, a lung cancer linked to asbestos exposure.
Johnson and Johnson beared the brunt of the verdict and was assigned to pay 67% of the compensation. The remainder was distributed among other defendants.
Johnson and Johnson said that they will appeal the decision. In a recent statement, Johnson and Johnson stated “We will continue to defend the safety of our product because it does not contain asbestos or cause mesothelioma.”
Plaintiff’s Claims Extends Beyond Injuries
The plaintiff said that the company failed to warn her and other consumers that the product contained asbestos and could cause cancer. The plaintiff’s attorney stated that Johnson & Johnson “engaged in a multi-decade campaign wherein they hid testing data from regulators, altered reports to make them more favorable and lied to consumers.”
Similar allegations have been levied in other lawsuits against the New Jersey based company.
Last year, a judge in Los Angeles tossed out a $417 million jury award to a woman who claimed she developed ovarian cancer by using Johnson & Johnson baby powder for feminine hygiene. Still, the company denies any wrongdoing.
“Over the past 50 years, multiple independent, non-litigation driven scientific evaluations have been conducted by respected academic institutions and government bodies, including the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, and none have found that the talc in Johnson’s Baby Powder contains asbestos,” the company said Thursday