The countdown to the New Year is filled with excitement, anticipation, and, for adults, alcohol. While there is nothing wrong with toasting champagne and enjoying drinks among friends as you wait for the new year to arrive, drinking in excess can lead to poor decision-making, including the decision to drive drunk.
Businesses in Corpus Christi and San Antonio are going out of their this New Year’s Eve to ensure revelers make the right decision by offering potentially intoxicated drivers free rides home. Some of the businesses will even tow your car home with you!
Every New Year’s Eve, AAA Towing operates its Holiday Ride Program. From 6 pm Monday, December 31st until 6 am Tuesday, January 1st, AAA Towing will give free rides to drinking drivers. In addition to a safe ride home, AAA offers Texans free last-resort towing to drivers who have had too much to drink.
Some stipulations do apply:
- Free towing and rides are good for up to 10 miles. After 10 miles, passengers should expect to be charged standard towing rates. AAA recommends you workout payment amounts and methods of payment prior to riding.
- Free towing and rides are good for rides to the impaired driver’s house or to a hotel where the driver is registered.
- Free towing does not apply to inoperable vehicles.
- Free rides only apply to the driver of the vehicle being towed.
AAA Towing’s Holiday Ride Program is available in both Corpus Christi and San Antonio. Arrangements can be made by calling 1-800-222-4357.
This year, Lyft is offering $5 off to riders living in Texas on New Year’s Eve. Texan can claim the discount by using promo code NYEPLAN18 in the Lyft app.
Green-N-Go Cabs and Yellow Cab
Green-N-Go Cabs and Yellow Cab in Corpus Christi are teaming up to offer free rides home to anyone in need this New Year’s Eve. Those in need of a ride can call 361-299-9999 or text the same number with their name and location. Free rides will be available from 9 pm December 31st until 3 am January 1st.
Apollo Towing Service
Apollo towing service will be offering free rides and towing to impaired driver as early as Sunday. Free rides will last until New Year’s morning, January 1st. Tows are available to individuals in Corpus Christi, Portland, and Robstown.
Apollo will only transport the vehicle and the driver. No passengers.
Drivers in need can call 361-853-0003.
Other Tips to Follow If You Plan on Drinking This New Year’s Eve
If you drink or host a party this New Year’s Eve, remember the following:
- Designate non-drinking drivers who can get everyone home safely.
- Do not serve alcohol to anyone under the age 21.
- Call a friend or family member for a ride home if you have been drinking.
- Never ride in a vehicle driven by a person who has been drinking alcohol.
- Save a cab company number or ride share app to your mobile device before heading out.
- If you are hosting a party, offer a variety of non-alcoholic beverages and treats for designated drivers. Also, consider offering gifts to guests who volunteer to be designated drivers.
- Have a back-up plan to spend the night at the party if necessary.
- Take care keys away from friends or relatives who have had too much to drink.
Contact an Experienced Drunk Driving Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.