1 Dead in Oakland Trucking Accident
About the Oakland Trucking Accident
According to an NBC affiliate, the Alameda County Coroner was called to the scene at about 4.20 a.m. At around 6:15 am all of the lanes were reopened.
Two Northbound lanes of I-880 and 98th Avenue on-ramp near O.Co Coliseum lane were closed to traffic following the collision.
Authorities are investigating the accident.
Accident Statistics in California
Following information provided by the California Office of Traffic Safety:
- 2,857 people died in traffic accidents along California roadways in 2012.
- This marked an increase 1.5 percent from 2011; however, California still has one of the lowest levels of fatalities since the federal government began recording fatalities in 1975.
- Alcohol impaired driving fatalities (BAC of 0.08 or higher) increased from 774 in 2011 to 802 in 2012.
- Motorcycle fatalities increased 4.6 percent from 415 in 2011 to 435 in 2012.
- Pedestrian fatalities decreased 3.9 percent from 633 in 2011 to 612 in 2012.
- Drivers age 20 or younger involved in fatal crashes dropped 1.3 percent from 328 in 2011 to 324 in 2012.